We always talk about our favorite characters from different books and movies and tv shows, but every once in a while there’s a character that you just don’t like no matter how many times you read about them. Sometimes they’re just a mild annoyance, other times they make you want to scratch your eyes out and throw stuff around.
Here are some of my least favorite characters from books and movies:
- Katniss Everdeen from the Hunger Games. I don’t know what it is I don’t like about her. She seems so cold and detached from everything. I don’t care if it’s society that made her like that, she had the emotional range of a teaspoon, as someone wise in Harry Potter once said.
- Severus Snape from Harry Potter. This is a character that everyone seems to love, but I never really liked him. When I read the books the first time, I would hate Snape throughout the whole book, then groan in exasperation and explain “He was actually good the whole time?!” when it turned out different. He laid low for a couple books, but when he “turned” on Dumbledore in book 6 I said “Hah! He’s bad after all! How dare you, Snape!” It was a weird roller coaster ride when I first read the books. Even though I begrudgingly let him back in the circle of good guys at the end of each book, I was always suspicious of him and never fully trusted him. I don’t care if he’s still a good guy, he’s done enough crusty things to Harry to be a bad guy in my books.
- Daphne Deighton from American Royals. I don’t know how popular this book is in the circle of readers, but I didn’t like Daphne from the first American Royals book. I haven’t read any of the other books yet, but I’m sure she’s just as atrocious. She sounds like a lot of gold diggers that hang around the real royal family in England and it makes me very annoyed. I doubt she gets any better in the 2 sequels.
- Loki from the Marvel Movies. Granted, I’m not a big Marvel movie fan in general and don’t care one way or another about a lot of the superheroes, but I don’t understand Loki. He’s not a good guy from the few movies I’ve seen with him in it. People seem to like him because he’s witty and snarky. But he just comes across as arrogant to me and I don’t like it. He’s like the bad guy version of Iron Man and I don’t like it.
- Scarlett O’Hara from Gone With the Wind. I never actually read the book; I’ve only ever seen the movie, but I don’t like her. I think that was the point of it, but people still love her for how resilient she books during the Civil War and how she changes her attitudes at the end. She just gets under my skin. Ick.
- Bilbo Baggins from The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings. He’s not bad or annoying per se, I just don’t have a strong opinion of him. I read The Hobbit after I read the Lord of the Rings and I didn’t like reading from his perspective. Maybe that’s why I don’t like him as a character. Plus I saw the Lord of the Rings movies before I read the books and Ian Holm’s interpretation of him solidified my “eh” feelings towards him.
- Han Solo from Star Wars. Eh…just why? Sure, he’s a rogue and can take care of himself. But he thinks a little high of himself and I just don’t find him attractive. Just…ehh.
- Gollum from Lord of the Rings. Again, he’s a scrawny little nitwit. He’s sneaky and addicted to the ring and will do anything to get it back. He’s not my favorite.